Adventures

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I said a Brrrr

Dear San Diego, please do not ever complain about anything because you have the most desirable weather in the world. The weather in Prague is basically crazy. One day it can be sunny and in the mid 40's and then the next day foggy, dark, rainy, and freezing where you see your breath coming out of your nostrils! I hear this weather is nothing that is about to come as it is still in the +degrees still! YIKES
I never realized how hard it is to shop for winter clothes. What are winter clothes first of all? In San Diego, you just put on a sweatshirt and you are good to go. Here, you need to prepare, have the right equipment, and layer, layer, layer. It is such a pain though because once you walk inside, like the metro or a store, it is so hot that you begin to sweat and have to take off all the layers. It snows here in Prague so I need to find a good pair of snow boots, warm pants, warm snow jacket, hat, socks, gloves...oh man the list is endless. I get a lot of comments in my school when I wear my UGG boots. The students and faculty always comment, "Why are you wearing snow boots inside?" I tell them, I'm from California and it's just for fashion and I didnt know they actually served a purpose. I mean, I would explain that girls would wear them with mini skirts, so California is kinda clueless when it comes to proper winter attire.
Speaking about my students, they are absolutely wonderful. I have 14 students and all are adorable 2nd graders. I find it fascinating how they can use only my name with different tones to get my attention...They can use, "Alisoooon?" which lets me know they have a question. "Alisin" if they are joking around. "ALISUN!" if they are frustrated. Also, my students make the best sound effects that I have ever heard. When they describe something to me they use hand gestures and sound effects. When they play in the gym, they make sounds of lasers, squishing noises, explosions, car crashing, honking, aliens, you name it. Hollywood can use these kids as special sound effects and save tons of money.
In class, I taught my students for the last two weeks how to cook. We learned kitchen equipment, safety, measurements, and table manners. It was so cute to teach them table manners, like sitting up straight, sipping a tea cup, and most important having the boys push in the girls chair and letting the girls go first. I am teaching the next generation that chivalry is not dead! As a class, we watched a cooking show and I showed them an episode of my idol, Ina Garten! We then headed into the kitchen at school and made a recipe for Egg Salad Sandwich which they really enjoyed to my surprise. We also made Lemon Vinaigrette, Brown Cows (Pepsi and Ice Cream) and Rosemary Grilled Chicken Breast. It was interesting to see that their least favorite was the Brown Cow! I guess my second graders really have sophisticated taste. Each student created their own CookBook with their picture on the front and own handwriting for all the lessons we did in cooking.
Finally, we learned how to set tables and wash dishes (You are welcome parents). Here is a fun fact, did you know that they used to catch American spies in Europe based on how they ate?! Every culture holds their fork and knife differently when they eat. In America, you eat with one hand. Here in the Czech Republic they use both hands and shovel the food with their knife onto their fork. Interesting huh?
I am still loving my apartment and rearranged my room to make it even more amazing. I bought a plant from IKEA which is growing pretty much into a tree it has gotten so big. My roommates Mylene and Sarka are the best roommates I could possibly have. I am happy and there are moments where I look around and think, "Wow, I am in Prague" and thankful every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment