Adventures

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Czechin it out and I'm Czech in!

Everyone was correct about Prague, it is absolutely INCREDIBLE! On August 1st my Mother and I headed off to the San Diego Airport at the glorious time of 5AM. It was a great flight to New York and London. However, whoever created London's Airport was on Crack because it seems like the largest most confusing airport in the World. We barely made our flight down to the Czech Republic.
Once we landed, we had our driver take us to our Pension in Prague 6. Prague 6 is where the locals live and our Pension is very humble and quiet. Once we got up to our room, we didn't waste any time and headed to Downtown (Prague 1) to get a SIM card for my phone. We had to figure out the Metro system here in Prague and found out it is not bad at all! It's a lot different then the trolley station in San Diego, where are the crazies? After we set up my phone at Voto phone, we headed back to the Pension for dinner.
The man who owns the Pension is named Milos (pronounced Milo). He is very friendly and a happy man at age 76. He made us Pork and Potatoes with beer and wine surprise surprise a very Czech meal. It was a little too hearty for me with the jet lag, so I didnt eat much. Czech food is known to be heavy so I stay cautious. After dinner, we begin our journey to Prague 2 to meet with a girl I found on expats who was looking for a roommate for her flat. Here is the process of transportation my mother and I have taken to get to Prague downtown. We take an outside tram to the metro. We go underground and there are three lines (A,B,C and they are color coded Green, Yellow, Red). Each tram/metro/train arrives between 5-15 minutes so it is GREAT! Here is where things got ROUGH! So my mother and I get to the station Malostranska and I see the metro just arrived and people started to hurry down the escalator to catch it. I was infront of my mother and tell her to hurry so we can catch it. Well, I jump in and right behind me the doors CLOSED right before my Mother. I turn around and she gives me a smirk as I wave goodbye! CRAP what do I do now? I forgot to get my mother's new cell phone number. And to make matters worse, I held on to both of our metro tickets so she can't go on the metro without worrying about getting a HUGE fine! The ticket booth was also closed! I tried to strategize and I get off at the next stop. No mother to be found. Then I figure maybe she went to buy a ticket ( I didnt know they were closed) and I would meet her in Namesti Miru station (where the apartment was). I waited 30 minutes when all of a sudden I REALLY had to use the bathroom. I saw a security officer and he spoke English and told me it was up the LONGEST escalator ride I have ever seen. I didn't want to miss my mom getting off the metro, so I told him if he saw a woman with blonde short hair looking frantic that was my mother and to tell her I would come back. I run up the escalator and couldnt find the bathroom so I run back down hoping to catch my mom during each cycle. No mom, so I ran up the escalators again and finally found a bathroom. Well great, I see they charge 5 crowns to use the bathroom and all I had was 1000crowns note and some US Dollars. I take out a dollar bill (I was that desperate) and she didn't speak a word of English. I plead...telling her 1 dollar is 18 crowns and how badly I had to go. She was funny because I must have looked like an idiot and she was entertained. Mission accomplished there but still no mother. I run back down the escalator that goes on forever sweating bullets and out of breathe ( I should work out more) and I start to panic. What do I do? What is she doing? A lightbulb clicks and I call the girl whose apartment we would be looking at. She told me my mom called and she would give my number to my Mother. Houston we have connection! My mom called me and I journey back to Malostranska station and we are reunited again. We head to Namesti Miru stop and we walked by the security officer and I raised my mom's arm and I said to him, "I found her!" and he replied, "Congratulations" in a monotone voice...but with an amused smile. Of course this has to happen 6 hours in to just being in Prague.
After that fiasco, we were off to Vinohrady, the area in which I will be living. The apartment we looked at was TOO good to be true but it was all true. The apartment was PERFECT and I really liked the roommate. Her name is Mylene and she is from Canada. You know Canadians are super chill and I get great vibes from her. I just had to figure out my resident visa and I was sold. Mylene works for EXXon gas company. I get a key on Saturday and can start to move in. I can't even explain how nice and LUCKY I was to find this apartment as quick as I did. Don't worry, pictures are on the way and you will be VERY impressed.
The next day we met with my Principal at Magic Hill Elementary in Ricany. Now I know some of you have heard me pronounce it just like it is spelled...RrrrriiiiKany. Well I was WAY off...it is one of the HARDEST things to say in Czech...it kinda sounds like, Gdshiskany. ya I know it's tough. But my mother is hilarious trying to pronounce it so it entertains me. The train ride out was very interesting. I got to see the communist buildings and one thing in Prague is there is a lot of graffiti. It will be interesting to learn why and learn about Czech culture. My mother and I arrive in Ricany and the place is so quaint! It is a very nice suburb and very small. We walk 5 minutes to the school and meet with Martina my Principal. She gives us a tour of the school and it is in a two story building. The class sizes are very small and the building is very nice. The US can learn a thing or two from Prague schools. I was very happy since the school was nice and Martina was very nice and helpful. She's helping me take care of my Visa's. We turned in my work visa and now all we have to do is get a residential visa. On August 16th my mother and I will travel down to the Czech Embassy in Vienna to get one...don't ask why.
Today, after turning in my work visa, we went to a charming cafe and went to a organ and trumpet concert in the St. Nicholas Church. Prague is truly magical and I am already off to great start. Like I said, I was czechin prague out and I am czechin in! I can't wait to share more adventures with you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment