Adventures

Friday, March 4, 2011

Food and Borghese Gallery and Spanish Steps









My favorite saying on this trip was, "When in Rome, do as the Romans did". It was pretty much my motto on the trip so I tried new things and ate like an Italian. Italians know their coffee and even though I'm not a coffee drinker, I do have to say I did enjoy their Cappuccino's. Rick Steve's suggested a little coffee shop off the beaten path by the Spanish Steps. We arrived at the coffee shop and ordered two Cappuccino's which Rick Steve said is the best of the best in Rome. It was done to perfection and he even got artistic by drawing with chocolate a heart, so sweet. It was nice to rest our feet and just sit and relax in the cafe. Also it was a great place to people watch locals and I learned something interesting of what a lot of locals do. Around noon, they walk into the coffee shop and ask for an expresso. It's like they were ordering a shot of alcohol from a bartender. They down it and leave and aren't in the coffee shop longer than 2 minutes. We continuously saw this occurring and I guess that's how they keep going til 9pm for dinner.

We ate very well in Rome. I fell in love with Proscietto and melon, especially after having it the first night, and wanted more. SADLY enough NO where in Rome had Proscietto with melon because it wasn't melon season. :( Luckily the delicious pasta's covered my cravings for Proscietto and melon. I had amazing pastas with marinara sauce, basil, and cheese, ravioli with artichoke filling and covered in a sheep's cheese (interesting), and Tiramisu! Mmm Tiramisu how I miss you.

After coffee at the local coffee shop, we walked by the spanish stairs which Rick Steve's in his book only gave a 1 star. I didn't know why until I went there and understood his reasonings. It basically was a hang out for student's traveling abroad. Nothing more obnoxious than college kids studying abroad because they think they are so cool and allowed to drink. We hung out for a bit but the annoying college kids and men trying to sell junk got overwhelming, so we left. Kinda disappointed by the stairs but at least we can say we sat on the Spanish stairs.

The last day, Rick Steve's suggested to go to the Borghese Museum. It was given 3 stars and you had to make reservations and were only allowed in for 2 hours. We arrived at the Museum and had to check in our purses. They are VERY strict on no camera's that they take all your belongings. We got the museum's audio tour and learned a lot about the art they had in the museum. They had incredible works of art and sculptures. After the two hours, we decided to walk around Rome and window shop.

We left Saturday and it was the worst flight from Rome to Prague because right when we took off I got sinus pressure. I'm not sure if you have ever experienced sinus pressure but it hurts like a B****! I was in so much pain and there is nothing you can do. Luckily the stewardess had a pain killer but still it was a very long 2 hours home. Made it back to sunny, no snow, but still cold, Prague. I had an incredible time in Rome and will never forget this experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment