Adventures

Sunday, September 4, 2011

It's a Cook Off

Due to my new interest in cooking, my Mother stepped up her game and created the delicious summer dish with the herbal vinaigrette and fish.  So here come ROUND 2! DING DING DING. For my second meal in this cook off challenge, I made a delicious citrus shrimp scampi and coconut macaroons all from Ina Garten's recipe book. I'm telling you people, she can teach you how to cook and more!
The spaghetti dish was very simple and easy for anyone to do.  You need: Veggie oil, Salt, 1 1/2 pounds of Linguine, 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (make sure it is unsalted), 5 tablespoons of good olive oil (important to know your food is as only good as your ingredients) 3 tablespoons of minced garlic (9 cloves), 2 pounds of large shrimp (Albertsons had AMAZING shrimp!) 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper, 3/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley, grated zest of 1 lemon, 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice, 1/2 lemon sliced very thin.  Now, just to warn you, the dish is VERY lemony! It over powers the garlic even.  If I were to make this dish next time, I would perhaps cut back on the zest or the lemon juice.


Next, boil the linguine. When I was in Italy, they eat their pasta al dente so make sure you pay attention to the boiling process. While it's cooking, in a skillet melt the butta and olive oil over medium-low heat.  It is important not to have it on high because next step is to add the garlic and garlic burns EASILY! Saute for about a minute.  I was told on a cooking show that once you start to SMELL it, it's done.   Next add the shrimp.  Add the salt and pepper and saute until shrimp turn pink.  I knew they were done when they shriveled into a firm ball.  Remove from heat and add parsley and as much or little lemon as you want (zest, juice, slices) toss and combine.  That's it! :) It was a big hit again for my cook off challenge and VERY easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment