Adventures

Friday, October 1, 2010

San Marco square and Murano

After getting a little sample of how many tourists were in Venice when I first came in, I thought I would take Rick Steve's advice and wake up early to do all the sightseeing places. I woke up at 7am and ventured out to San Marco Square. It was a great time to take pictures since the streets were empty and the water was clear. I met three American men from San Francisco, and they asked if I could take their picture. We walked together to San Marco Square where I caught up on my baseball events since they were wearing San francisco Giants gear (the nerve). I guess my Padres have not been doing well since I left. I guess I can say perhaps I am the Padres good luck charm and actually visa vesa (I'll get into that later) I walked into the Basillica Church where a Mass was proceeding so we could not walk around the cathedral. We could walk inside but were not allowed to take any pictures. The Basillica's roof is covered in mosaic gold with events that occurred in the Bible. It had beautifully stained glass windows and the architecture was beautiful. And what made the Basillica so nice for me, no line to get in :). I then walk next door to Doge's Palace. I purchase a ticket and an audio guide that took my through the museum. Doge's Palace is so neat with the roofs that have huge paintings framed in gold. It's amazing that someone created that by hand and constructed that long ago. People can be amazing. My FAVORITE part of Doge's Palace was the prison. I love prisons for some reason and you get to walk around and explore. What made it even more creepy was I was alone since it was still early. The prison walls/ceilings had engravings of the prisoners who stayed there. There were no windows and only cement walls. There was a little circle the size of a basketball where the gaurds and give them food and check up on them. At the end of exploring the prison, you walk across the famous, "Bridge of Sighs". They call it the Bridge of Sighs because when the prisoners were being taken to prison, they got one last look of Venice and they would, you guessed it, sigh.
After my tour of Doge's Palace, the tourists came out and it was crowded so I decided to hop on the vaporetta and head to the island of glass, Murano!
Murano is a 25 minute boat ride from Venice. The weather was so perfect with sunshine and it was so warm LOVE IT. I got off and my technique with traveling in a place you do not know is to follow the tourists. I figure they know where to go. There are lots of stores selling glass along the water and you window shop. I stopped to get a bite to eat at a restaurant overlooking the canal. I had white wine with chips. Yes, that's right, chips. It is traditional here in Europe to eat fried potato chips with wine. Sarka (my czech roommate) even commented she thinks it's weird we eat potato chips with a sandwich. Here they eat potato chips with wine. So I had white wine and potato chips. I told the waiter I would like to try their special which was a pumpkin sauce in black noodles and seafood. It was delicious!!!
I continued window shopping where I saw a store with a man blowing glass. (Megan don't read these next 3 sentences) I watched him make black glass balls for a necklace he was making. I saw ornaments that were the most beautiful thing I have seen and wanted to buy one. Oops sorry Megan, just gave away your Christmas present. He didn't speak English but now that I'm an excellent guesser from my second graders always playing charades to communicate I think he was telling me he created the ornament and he looked very pleased with himself. I then continued my journey and bought myself a glass ring. Throughout Murano they have glass art sculptures. I really like Murano with it's beauty, art, and break away from tourists...well not all the tourists but the huge crowds.
I went back to Venice and enjoyed a cappicino looking at the water. I enjoyed watching the HUGE cruise ships coming in and out. I still wonder how in the world those things can float. I then called it an early night and hoping the weather would stay nice for Monday and go to Lido to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment