Adventures

Friday, October 1, 2010

Venice here I come

It's time for my first vacation in Europe and I decided for my four day weekend I would head down to Venice, Italy. I left early Saturday morning to the airport in Prague. I met a nice couple from America who were retired teachers from Chico, California. As we boarded the flight, the flight attendant asked me if I spoke English. She then asked me if I would like to sit in the emergency exit row with more leg room and so I agreed. I sat in the aisle seat so I can talk to the American teachers. The flight attendant asked for me to sit by the window for take off and I can move during flight and she would save my seat. She blocked off the whole row just for me! Talk about VIP status with a full flight. It was an easy hour flight down to Venice and I hopped on the bus that takes you down to Venice. I enjoyed the bus ride because I got to see local Italy and it is beautiful. I am for sure coming back and going to explore more of Italy.
I arrived in Venice and got to my bed and breakfast. I had a nice single room and had to go down the hall to use the bathroom and shower.
I decide to venture out and explore my surroundings. The weather in Venice could not have been any better! It was warm in the 70's and the sky was very blue. I walked to San Marco Square where I became nervous because it was flooded! I was warned by others that it floods in Venice and sad that perhaps I had chosen a bad time. They have these "tables" that are placed on the ground and you walk over the flood. Of course it's a small path and people are always pushing and shoving. I stopped for some pizza and decided to shop and get lost. In Rick Steve's book and other tourists, they all tell you to get lost. Well the thing is, you get lost no matter what. There are so many twists and turns and everything looks a like. I am a visual learner and good with visual memory of finding my way around. This was visual overload and it drove me nuts that I couldn't find my way around. I did stumble upon an amazing Venetian mask shop. I purchased the most amazing mask that reminds me something Lady Gaga would wear. It is a peach color, with glitter, and has large feathers! I love it and hope I can ship it home safely. I then decided I want to find the restaurant Rick Steve's suggested and the Gelato shop that is supposedly the best Gelato in Venice. I feel I walked the whole island and could not find it. I was so close at one point on my map and had people point where to go and I still could not find the restaurant. I did find by accident the gelato shop. I know it's a little unorthodox to have ice cream before dinner but I knew I would never find this place again so I had the most amazing AMAZING gelato of my life. It was chocolate and stracietella. I gave up on finding the restaurant and just ate at an outdoor restaurant and had pasta with seafood. I kept seeing people drink this orange liquor in a wine glass thinking perhaps it's a rose wine. I asked the waiter for it and it was basically robitussum. GROSS. They had music and it was a beautiful sunset as I looked at the church across from me.
I went back to my room and had my window open to listen to the gondola's rowing by singing Italian love songs. This place is too cool.
In the middle of the night I kept hearing buzzing noises like a fly. I thought it was a fly until the next morning I saw the mosquitos had a feast last night on my arms and face! That's the only down side of my trip to Venice...the mosquitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment