Adventures

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lund, Sweden








One great thing about being here in Europe is a lot of my friends are out here in Europe too! My freshman and sophomore roommate at Redlands moved to Lund, Sweden to pursue her masters and I've been waiting for the weather to get warm to finally visit her. I left for a weekend May 21st and headed towards Sweden. My flight went to Copenhagen (where I visited in the Fall to visit my high school friend Anna) and I took a train to Lund. I met Ashley at the train station and we had a slice of (very expensive) pizza and headed to her dormitory. Ashley's dorm was a lot different than the dorm room we shared in college. She had a nice single room with her own shower and bathroom. It was also furnished and down the hall had a full kitchen and den. She lives with 8 other students (all are anti-social except one). That night, we went out to a club or "frat party" called Nations. It is a LOT different than Prague because A) You get ID'd B)Alcohol is extremely expensive and hard to get ahold of in Sweden C)COVER charge??!?! I bought one beer and with the cover that pretty much ended my night. It was neat tho seeing Swedish people and how beautiful they are. The men have perfect blonde hair styled like something you would see in an Abercrombie and Fitch poster, same type of clothing (very peppy/socal beach attire), and Ray bans made a killing here.
The next day, Ashley took me around the town Lund. The architecture had a lot of brick buildings and very steep rooftops. I kept thinking about how much SNOW this place must get in the winter. The town was small but very quant. The people were friendly and there were lots of people sitting in the parks and enjoying the sunshine. I tried swedish meatballs for a street vendor and it had with it lingonberries and mash potatoes. It was DELISH! We then walked around the farmers market and it was nice to see fresh fish again.
Later we walked around her campus and it was very pretty. We then headed to a lake/pond where RedBull was having a Wakefest. Basically people wakeboarding on a very small pond trying to do tricks. Problem was was that the pond was so small, they could not get enough speed to land their tricks. So we just watched people belly flop when they landed and listened to very loud house music. They love techno in Sweden and love being "hip".
That evening, we had a bbq on her balcony and stayed in to watch movies and catch up. I brought over some Butter cookies from Denmark and pretty much finished off the whole container. SO GOOD YUM!
Sunday, I had to head back to Prague and good timing since a big rain storm had come. Sweden was really nice and the people were really pretty as well. It was great visiting my good friend Ashley and happy we could experience each others adventures abroad!
Next stop: PARIS

No comments:

Post a Comment