Adventures

Friday, August 19, 2011

Dinner for the roommates

When I went to visit Anna in Copenhagen, she and her boyfriend, Anders, made me a delicious pork dinner.  It had pears and thyme and almost a year later I haven't forgotten it.
It's much easier to get back into cooking again being back in the states. I can READ the labels, understand the measurements and temperatures, and have cookbooks again! I wanted to get back into cooking by making dinner for my roommates...my parents.
I decided to make them Anna's pork chops! Although, I did not have a recipe nor could I find ANY recipe online that included the ingredients pear, thyme, and pork. I decided to research other pork recipes and wing it.  The dinner was fantastic and I highly recommend this recipe next time you feel like pork chops.

At the grocery store get:
1) Pork chops with the bone
2) Fresh Thyme
3) Pears. I prefer Bartlett pears (red/brown pear) and hard.
4) Golden onion
5) Vegetable Oil
6) Salt and Pepper

Recipe:

1) Set the oven to conventional oven at 425.
2) take pork chops and slice around 3 parallel lines in the pork chop to stuff the thyme in.
3) peel the thyme. Take the stick and simply pinch and slide down so the leaves are off.
4) stuff the slits with thyme and (as desired) sprinkle salt and pepper
5) In a skillet, put vegetable oil to prevent the pork from sticking
6) On medium high heat, place the pork chop on the skillet and pan-sear til both sides are a golden dark brown.
7) While the pork is cooking, cut pears in half and take a small ice cream scooper or spoon to take out seeds. Then slice pears 1/2 inch vertically.
8) Slice white onion an inch wide.
9) Place pears and onions in a glass oven safe pan and drizzle vegetable oil over and sprinkle (as desired) salt and pepper
10) When the pork chops are golden brown, place in pan and mix in with pear and onion mixture
11) Place in oven and leave for 15 minutes
12) Turn down heat to 375 and stir pears on top to bottom (do they dont dry out.) If desired, take your favorite apricot jam and spread over pears.
13) Let it cook for 30 minutes. Check to make sure the pork is cooked and tender.
I like to keep an eye on the meet and check it as I cook to see how much longer it needs.  You don't want it to be dry, but you don't want it to be raw. Remember when you take it out of the oven, let it rest a few minutes and it will continue to slightly cook.

Wah lah! You have Pork Chops with pear and thyme!

If you need a side dish, I would recommend something green.  Keep the vegetable simple since you don't want to steal away the attention of the main dish!


I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment