Adventures

Friday, August 12, 2011

Re-culture shock?

Is there such a thing? Definitely.  Coming from Europe back to America you are simply feeling one thing, extremely grateful.  You appreciate the little things you never paid attention to.  For instance, the person who bags your groceries. They did not have that in Europe and I learned it is really tough to bag your own groceries. You might think, "come on, you put it in a bag..how hard can it be?" However, it really is tough. In Europe, they don't have long check out counters to take time to place all your items on, so you have to wait til she or he scans it to place more items down. But then you realize the other side is starting to run out of room and you have to bag your groceries.  You either have to pay for a bag or you bring your own. I became very good at using my Whole Foods bag I brought from home.  So I'm rushing to throw them in my bag and trying to place it right. It's tough because you can't crush your bread so you need to place that just right, cant tip the meat over otherwise it will run, and you have to place it like a Tetrix game so it all fits.  But you don't have that much time before they are done checking all your food and you have to pay.  See how the small stuff matters.
I went to Albertsons with my Mom the other day and the girl bagged our items so nicely, like almost to perfection. I turned to her and said, "I really want to thank you for bagging our groceries. In Europe, you have to do it yourself and I know it is not easy, so thank you." And I think that made her day and I'm sure lots of grocery baggers would like to be appreciated.  So when you are in the grocery store next time, just say thanks because small things like bagging your groceries matter.
Another thing, as you all know, and all of America knows, PORTION SIZES. What in the world! It is kind of ridiculous.  I literally can share a meal for one with someone and still be full.  With my girlfriends, we went to a breakfast house where I got eggs benedict and they got pancakes and french toast.  My portion size was huge with two large eggs benedict with a huge amount of salty hash browns and bacon. My friends dishes had 5 slices of french toast, bacon, and hash browns.  Same with the pancake dish. How in the world are you expected to eat all that.  I think America is brainwashed that it's normal to eat that amount and since it's on your plate you might as well finish it off.  If you don't finish, they ask, "What's wrong with your dish" nothing is wrong it's just TOO BIG!  I felt so sick after eating it too. But on the positive note, I do love free refills and sometimes I think they are OCD on filling your glass.  I would only take a couple sips and they would pour more and more in even though it was still full.  It's nice since in Europe the coffee's were a size of a kids cocoa and that's all you got or if you ordered a soda, it's one small glass (with no ice of course) and that's it.  Now I can gulp away.
Another culture reshock is customer service. Oh the mighty customer service.  In Prague, you can forget about customer service. They have the mindset, "well you ordered it, not my problem, too bad" and you can forget about complaining because they don't care. Europeans kind of make fun of us in that sense that we always say, "Let me speak to your manager". I mean I don't blame them with all the crap they had to deal with in the past.  But here in America customer service is HUGE! They are so friendly, helpful, and polite.  There are even notices to text how you liked your customer service at a place! Wow.  .  It's really nice to have customer service and I feel like most don't appreciate it.  Like when a waiter says, "Hi, how are you today?" and most reply, "Fine, i'll have a coke...etc."  Well now, not being used to such great customer service, I say, "Hi, I'm doing great! How are you today?" and really pause to know how they are.  I can see they appreciate it too.
Another re-culture shock was I was taking my beloved Sophie on a walk in Old Town and went through the heritage park.  I read about the houses and how "old" they were. OLD? haha it said from 1887. In Europe time, that's brand spanking new! My apartment was built in 1527! The outside structure has a lot of character like something you would see out of New York.  The inside was worn out and each door had a wooden carving on top.  It was kinda strange because some were people making out. hm.  Our apartment on the fifth floor though is new and as you can see/remember from my pictures...VERY nice.  I loved that apartment and wish I could bring it here to San Diego. I guess I have to find something new and modern.
America is definitely faster pace and we tend to forget the small things. It's like the saying, "you never know what you had until it's gone".  I have witnessed this first hand and can say, I am grateful to live in USA for it's freedom but also all the luxuries in the small things.
So next time you are at the grocery store, say thank you. Next time you are at a restaurant, ask the waiter how she or he is doing today.  Slow down and smell the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment