Adventures

Thursday, August 18, 2011

New Inspirations

It's been 3 weeks back in the states and I have hit the ground running! I guess it must be the utter shock of having COMPLETE independence living abroad to living back in your parents house again. I am extremely grateful I have a home and supportive loving family while I am searching for work, but I'm just very eager to get my life rolling here in sunny San Diego.
My sidekick Sophie sits next to me as I continue to job hunt. I learned from past experiences and experiences from others that applying online is just a waste of time.  I took an Interview Techniques workshop at the Jewish Employment Network here in San Diego last night.  It was very informative and great ideas to calm your nerves about interviews. I highly recommend it, not only for the advice, but because it is FREE! It's for all ages and any career goal.  Plus they have free cookies, yum!
I heard on the news this morning there are 14 MILLION unemployed Americans. Wow. The competition for any open position is fierce and you really need to differentiate yourself to have a chance to go up to bat.
I loved teaching and it is literally a calling I have. I worked my tooshie off to get my teaching credential and pass those long and I mean long strenuous tests. Unfortunately, the state and tax payers can't repay my efforts by giving me a chance. It's really scary what is happening to our education system in America as it is the MOST important thing in the world. It's why we exsist.
Oye, but I won't succumb to limitations and keep my head high.  It's hard to do but you get more wrinkles frowning then smiling. :)

My Dad asked me what I want to do if not education.  He threw a bunch of ideas at me but nothing seem to interest me.  Then a light bulb lit up! Do something I love. I love to teach, I love to make people laugh and entertain, I love art, and I LOVE to cook, especially bake.

I've always LOVED the Food Network! It keeps me sane when I'm unemployed. My idol is Ina Garten. She has the best recipes and she has this demeanor that makes you want to be like her.  I've used some of her recipes and it's always a hit.
Also on the Food Network are a TON of cupcake shoes. Also on TLC.  CUPCAKES have never been bigger! And how could you not resist the cute, girly, chic, outrageously flavorful, trendy CUPCAKE. People go nuts for them.

Cupcakes are new and hip but have we forgotten our past.  When we think about this dessert you might automatically think of your grandmothers or a 50's Pleasantville wife. Can you guess what I'm thinking about? That's right...PIES.  Who doesn't love pie! They are simply a classic and America's symbolic dessert.
I want to know more history of pies and will share it with you in my blogs to come.
I love to make pies. From the crust, to the fillings, and the detail in the topping. One of my favorite movies was Waitress (if you haven't seen it...see it).  Pies have been outdated and it's time pies got a make over. They might always be used to smash in someone's face, but it's time to vamp it up and make the pie the new it thing in America!

I have decided that I am going to dedicate most of this blog to my dreams of one day opening my own Pie shop.  It would be dedicated to the best pie maker in the world. A woman I have never met but am named after. She is my great grandmother, Cecilia.  My middle name is Celeste and according to my father, she was the nicest lady he had ever met.  I want to honor my great grandmother and learn how to make pies half as good as she did.

My pies would give the pie a facelift. Make it cute, make it fun, make it memorable!


I will post the process of creating pies and sharing recipes.  I will also have polls and hope you vote on which pie I should make next.  Who knows, I might just drop off that pie at your door step!
If you have any recipes or suggestions you would like to share with me, I would love to try it.
You do something because you love it and I want to share this with you!








No comments:

Post a Comment