Adventures

Thursday, April 7, 2011

It wasn't culture shock...more like WEATHER shock!

One of my student's parents told me, "When I saw we had a girl from California come teach in Prague, we were like, 'oh boy, how is this going to turn out for her". Let's just say I have experienced what the majority of people in the world experience in weather and I feel terrible for them. It was fun for awhile living in snow. How pretty things look when it's fresh snow on trees, buildings, cars. Wearing heavy jackets, gloves, colorful scarves, and snow boots for the first time. This all lasts about a week or two then you just try to remember warmth, flip flops, t-shirts, happy people, sunshine, flowers....oye, it was a long winter.
Finally, SPRING IS HERE! One interesting thing about Prague is that we do not get all the same fruits and vegetables all year long. In the winter, be prepared for potatoes, lettuce, tomatoes, and oranges. They only have seasonal fruits and if they had a rare item be prepared to pay a lot. I remember walking into the market recently and seeing a carton of strawberries. Oh strawberries, how they are delicious, colorful, and wonderful all in one. My spirits instantly got brighter and I was ready to welcome spring with open arms.
The snow is gone and the weather getting warmer. I dont have to wear my snow gear anymore and I do not see my own breath. This week, the trees and plants are beginning to bloom. Some trees are just covered with beautiful white flowers and wild flowers growing everywhere. In town centers, like Namesti Miru, they planted tulips and set up a Spring market (similar to Christmas market, but warmer).
People are being SO FRIENDLY! It's amusing to see how people just sit in the sun now that winter is gone. They will sit in the parks, on the lawn, on benches, on stairs just to soak up the sun. And being Czech, you know they are downing a Gambrinus or Strapromen beer. You can tell people are more lively and happier now that the cold is gone. They are putting outside seating once again, the sun is out til 7pm, and you can dress comfortably without a million layers. Another great thing is the beer gardens are open again and I can not wait to sit in the warm sun and drink the world's finest beer.
There is ONE problem with the weather getting warmer and that is B.O! I take public transportation everywhere and unfortunately some people still need to learn the concept of deodorant. It sometimes can be the tram ride from hell and I'm tempted to buy a little perfume bottle to spray on stinky people. As they say in Czech for "ew" is "foey!"
I am so happy winter is over and SO HAPPY I will never live in snow again. Sure it's great to visit but to live in...no thanks ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment