Adventures

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Post Easter Blues




I really wanted to go to the Jewish Quarter. Surprisingly, I STILL have not been and it is one of the big things to do here in Prague. On Easter Sunday, the line was so long that we decided we would save it for Monday. You can not believe how quickly the weather here changes. It was so warm and sunny all weekend and come Monday, BAM! Rain and COLD.
I'll mention it again later in my earlier blogs but the day after Easter the men go around and hit women with braided twigs to make them fertile. I heard about this tradition before and was a bit nervous to walk around that day. Although, my friends told me they had never been hit with the twig so it wouldn't be a problem. Ha! That morning we walked outside our apartment and 5 teenage boys were standing outside with twigs. They ran over and started hitting us on our tooshies chanting something in Czech. It was hilarious to see and to laugh that we are now FERTILE! haha.
So after being fertilized, ha get it, we headed to the Jewish Quarter where I was devastated to see that it was CLOSED! It only closes on Saturday's and Jewish holidays so I was baffled and sad. We poked our heads through open areas and saw the famous cemetary and I explained how these temples are the oldest in Europe because they were not destroyed. The Jewish Quarter is so special because the Jewish people were allowed to keep their valuables there and were then executed. :( It was meant to be a Museum of the extinct religion but now it is a memorial of Jewish Czechs and how devastating the Holocaust was.
Everything was going so smoothly on our trip until then but being the quick thinker I am, I decided to take a stroll down the Vltava River. There were great picture opportunities and walked across the Charles Bridge to touch the famous Saint statue so Megan and Allan can make their wish.
We then headed to Cafe Lourve where it was a famous cafe from 1902 that serves great Czech food. I made Megan order the Beef Goulash where I was afraid she would not like it because I have not been its biggest fan. Surprisingly, Megan LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED Beef Goulash! She said it was her favorite meal of the trip thus far! STRANGE! am I related to her? But she loves stews and dense breads so it was a win win situation. We then all shared apple strudle which was a great way to conclude our lunch.
After lunch, the rain started to come down and brr was it cold. We decided to head to the Communist Museum. It was informative and interesting that this country had faced communism for 40 years after the terrorism of Nazis and only became FREE 20 years ago. It really makes you appreciate being an American to have that freedom and that lots of people sacrafice their lives to obtain that freedom. The Czech people have endured the unfathomable and even facing their demise (losing their language, buildings, and freedom) they fought hard for their freedom and are proud strong happy people.

No comments:

Post a Comment