Adventures

Friday, July 1, 2011

Amsterdam

The next morning, Andy, Jen and I head to the Van Gogh Museum. I never really knew much about the artist, only that he cut off his ear because he went crazy. But after a few hours visiting his museum, I learned so much about his life and also have my reasons why he went crazy.
We read Rick Steve's tour guide through the museum and learned about his life.
Van Gogh was a man who did not like big cities and did not agree with civilized life. He was a religious man and enjoyed painting. He did not work which left him mooching off his brother in Paris where he lived for a bit. I really enjoy impressionism because when you are afar, you can see the image. But up close, it is nothing but tons of colorful dots. Incredible. Van Gogh had a good friend Gauguin. Van Gogh started to get off the rocker and threatened his friend Gauguin with a knife. Gauguin moved out and that is when Van Gogh cut off his ear and showed it to a prostitute. I think Van Gogh was born in the wrong time period because I honestly think he was in love with Gauguin and just not as accepted as it was today. I could be totally wrong but I think that's why Van Gogh had a tough time. At his museum, I saw the Sunflowers, self portraits, cherry blossoms, and majority of his famous pieces. Also there were some Monet paintings and Monet is my favorite artist. I really enjoyed the Van Gogh Museum and learned a lot about the artist.
After the museum, we got hot waffles and hot chocolate as a snack. MMmm it was delicious. We then headed on our canal bus and explored more of Amsterdam. We then went to get some dinner at a place called the Pantry. They were recommended to us by our hotel for serving Dutch food. I had the split pea soup (heavenly) and Jen and Andy had a stew and sausages. It was a hearty meal but perfect for a cold day.
That evening Jen and Andy left to go back to Prague. I fortunately had one more day in Amsterdam. It was great having Andy and Jen traveling with me. We had a great time just strolling around Amsterdam together. I will definitely miss them both as they have been great friends to me over here in Prague.

No comments:

Post a Comment