Adventures

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Santorini

I arrived at the port and took a taxi to my hotel. It was highly recommended on tripadvisor and hostel world and I see why. The owners were so friendly and upgraded to me to a balcony view of the pool and full kitchen! I went grocery shopping to buy lunch and dinner goodies. I then sat and just enjoyed the pool and finished my book.
The next day I went to a beach the UK girls recommended to me (the ones I met at the bus stop in Mykonos). The beach was a black sand beach called Perissa. I took a bus down the windy streets and made it to Perissa. I bought a chair and umbrella and enjoyed the new scenery. I went in the water and it was warm around 70's. The bottom was hard slimmy rocks. I spent the whole day at the beach and that afternoon went back on the bus to my hotel. I ate a turkey sandwich and a greek beer. For dessert I had greek yogurt which is the best in the west.
The next day I went to another recommended spot that the Scottish people recommended, Oi which is pronounced E-ah. The bus ride was the scariest bus ride I have ever experienced. It was packed with people (usual Greek bus) and it was on a steep cliff speeding around the corners. There was a couple next to me and the girlfriend looked back at her boyfriend and said, "don't even say anything" but everyone was thinking it. We were very close to the edge and one wrong thing we were toast. We made it and stunning views and famous recognizable landmarks of Santorini. I decided to treat myself and have a view of the sea and cliffs and city. I ordered seafood spaghetti and a coke. I used to be creeped out if I saw octopus in anything or calamari but in Italy and Greece (and Croatia) it's in EVERYTHING. I at so much octopus and squid that I felt like Shamu.
I then toured around and watched the sunset in Santorini with a bunch of other tourists. Once again, everyone clapped when the sun went down. Took the bus back and had a great day in Oi.
I headed back to the port the next day and headed back to Mykonos for one more night as I flew from Mykonos to Milan and from Milan one night and next day to Dubrovnik, Croatia.
I really enjoyed Greece and like both Santorini and Mykonos. It was tough traveling alone to meet people because it's a big honeymoon destination. But I enjoy my own company and had a great time. Thank you Greece for the memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment