Adventures

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day trip to Siena

The next morning, I decided to take a day trip out to Siena by train from Florence. I woke up nice and early, had a healthy breakfast, and made it to the train station. Things were going well (made it just in time to make the train) however while waiting, I noticed one by one each train that was supposed to depart soon CANCELING. Luckily, it seemed that Siena was ok and not cancelled. I waited on the platform where the train was waiting and saw that the train was delayed for 30 minutes. We all stood outside the train wondering why they wouldn't even open the doors so you could sit inside. Then the delay turned into 45 minutes. The train next to us was cancelled and everyone on board got off. People were nervous that the train to Siena would be cancelled. I tried to keep my fingers crossed but no luck....train to Siena, CANCELLED! Great....what do I do now. I follow the crowds of angry tourists who were even more stressed out than I. I went to the information booth and the man very impatiently said that there was a strike today and no trains were running all day. That's just great, I thought. Sitting in the station wondering what my next move would be, I decided to wait it out and see how long this strike would be. I asked another impatient information counter and she said that the train to Siena would leave at 1pm. She also said I could use the same ticket I bought for an earlier time. So at 1pm, I got on the train, and off we went! I'm not sure if the strike ended or we were just the lucky ones.
The journey out to Siena gave me a local Italian feel seeing the beautiful country side. Lots of farms and rolling hills. The ticket man came by to see my ticket and then when I handed it to him he sat down and was like "um, you were supposed to stamp it before you got it"! My blood pressure began to rise and heart dropped. I had NO idea you were supposed to punch your ticket before you got in. The boxes (I later found) were in a none noticeable area and no signs or people telling you to punch your ticket before you board. I think it's their way to get money out of unsuspecting tourists. LUCKILY, the man saw I was traveling alone and honestly didn't know and said it's fine. Phew, that would have been the cherry to my day ;).
I arrived in Siena and had no idea where I was. I had no map and no Rick Steves! I got lost trying to figure out where the center is or the tourist part and had to ask. When I finally found the heart of Siena it was beautiful. I saw they had GROM and had to get some gelato. I then stumbled upon the Piazza and sat in the shade too marvel at the view. I later toured around and came across the Duomo in Siena! This is exactly as I would describe it, a church designed by Gwen Stefani!
It was magnificent. It had black and white stripes just like Gwen Stefani would do. I bought a ticket to tour inside and had to wear a white cloth around my shoulders and my legs. The inside was so colorful and a continuation of the black and white stripes. I have seen a LOT of churches while living over here in Europe, but I have to say, this one tops the cake. Maybe because I'm a fan of Gwen Stefani ;).
After a long exhausting day, I headed back to Florence (and punched my TICKET!) and was getting ready for my next stop, Milan. I was in Milan for two days and what a change. Milan is like New York combined with Italians. It's hectic, busy, and big! I was a little overwhelmed with Italian men constantly hitting on me. Mylene told me not to wear make up and not dress so nicely, however, that doesnt stop them. I think if you are a female and breathing, be prepared to have your ego boosted. I did the sight seeing aspect and shopped around a bit but I do have to be honest, it was not my favorite. Maybe because I don't like big hectic cities like that. But at least I can say I've been there.
I was MORE than ready for my next stop on my adventure.... MYKONOS GREECE!

No comments:

Post a Comment